Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Pee Alarm



Nathaniel is 7 1/2, and is just a golden kid- does what he's asked to do, gets along with everyone, is good natured and smart and has the world's softest, most kissable cheeks.  One thing he has struggled with though is wetting the bed.  He has been wearing diapers or pull ups every night of his young life up until the past month. 

(I don't even want to know how much the expense totals to over 7 1/2 years.  It kills me to think of how many clothing articles aren't hanging in our closets because we spent so much on Pull-Ups).



My sister told me about the pee alarm she used with her son, and how successful he was with it.  I was skeptical, and if it had come from any other source I probably would have disregarded it completely.  Thinking I had nothing to lose, I ordered one for about $15 from eBay.  It was blue, and had a sensor on one end, small felt square on the other, and they were connected by a wire.  The sensor attaches to the underwear (think right where the pee leaves the body) and the felt square (the alarm) clips to the child's shoulder.  As soon as the sensor gets wet, the alarm goes off.

The first few nights the alarm didn't wake him, but it woke us, and we got him up and to the bathroom. ( By 'we' I mean Rich, of course.  I don't parent well between the hours of 1 and 7 a.m.)  The next few nights it woke him up but we were still changing sheets.  Within a week he was waking quickly enough to only have to change underwear and pj's, and by 2 weeks we had complete and total success! 


No more Pull-ups for us!! And just in time, too, because in 10 weeks we start buying diapers for the next boy.  I'll be keeping the pee alarm handy, though- my goal is to have this one potty trained by age two.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is so cool! I'm so glad it worked. :)

Allyson & Jere said...

I'm so happy for you, AND for him. This is amazing that you wrote this, TODAY. I was just talking to a friend of mine that is having trouble with her nearly 8 year old daughter still wetting the bed. So, now I can tell her about this little device. Thanks for sharing.

Tammy said...

It is always nice when you find something that works! Woohoo!

Jen said...

I need one of these in a bad way!! I have the same situation at my house! Thanks Lady...you have put a light at the end of the tunnel!

Debbie said...

I finally got Morgan potty trained!!!! Ye-Haw Hooray for the pee alarm :)

Lourie said...

I am going to have to look at this. I have two in good nights/pull ups and I wish to high heaven I didn't!

Dana Fallentine said...

Ok. This is a funny, funny post. I hope these pictures don't haunt Nathaniel as a teenager. You may have to remove this post on his sixteenth birthday. I can't believe you were skeptical about the pee alarm. Sisters always know best.