Monday, April 5, 2010

I Love Cops!

When people (women, mostly) find out that I am married
to a police officer, all too often this is their response:
"Doesn't that scare you? Aren't you afraid he'll be killed?"

It's rude. It is.

When I'm told someone's husband is a lawyer, I don't ask,
"Doesn't it bother you to be married to someone who
can't keep his hands in his own pockets?"

If their spouse is a pilot, I don't gasp,
"What if his flight gets hijacked?
What if he crashes?"

If the husband's profession happens to be gynecology, I don't...

Okay, I'll stop there. You get the point.

That being said, I would like to share my 10 favorite
things about being married to a cop:

1. The uniform. It's soooo hot.

2. The health/dental insurance. It's awesome!

3. The cop stories. I love hearing about all the exciting things
he gets to do. The stories are often requested at family
gatherings and parties- and it's fun to watch Rich be the
center of attention for awhile.

4. The cop truck. It didn't cost us a penny.

5. Job stability. Especially in this economy.

6. Rich loves his job. He loves it! He looks forward to going
to work every day.

7. The bullet-proof vest. Not only does it protect him, but it
makes him look really buff.

8. Our children have grown up knowing their Daddy is a
real hero.

9. I love having a k-9 dog in our backyard. Can you say,
"Home Security"? It's nice to know that any burglars
who attempt entry through the backyard, will have to
make it past a highly trained German Shephard
before they could even get close to our home.

10. The gun. It's hot. He wears it everywhere. It's nice to know
that if we happen to come across some sort of crime or tragedy
our family will not only be protected, but my husband would be
able to protect others too; maybe even you or your loved ones.

So, the next time you meet the wife of an officer, be polite.
Don't bring images of her beloved husband dying to her mind.
You now have 10 great things relating to her spouse's profession
that you can bring up, if you're interested.

I promise, she'll appreciate it.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

D. SKye Hodges said...

That is awesome! You didn't mention another perk too.. that when you get pulled over (for something very minor), you can either recognize someone you know from Rich's work parties, or mention Rich to the officer, and a lot of times they will let you off with a warning out of a professional courtesy--'course they will tell Rich about it and you might actually be in MORE trouble ;) LOL but getting a little more leniency in life is nice sometimes too.

Debbie said...

Great post. LOVE the hero mention, so true. Plus it might even help to get you into the mall earlier to shop Black Friday...

Dana Fallentine said...

Haha! Love it!

Kellie said...

Thanks for the comments. I didn't even think about getting out of tickets, or Black Friday (which was so awesome!)There are too many perks to list, guess :]

Amy said...

You said it perfectly, I couldn't have said it better myself. I absolutely HATE those comments people make. It's like really? "Don't you think we think of that ALL the time, but thanks for pointing it out again."

Amy said...

You said it perfectly, I couldn't have said it better myself. I absolutely HATE those comments people make. It's like really? "Don't you think we think of that ALL the time, but thanks for pointing it out again."

Amy said...

Sorry my comment posted twice Blogger was being dumb

Silly Monkeys said...

Hello Hot mama! As your previous neighbor I enjoy the perk of your hubby's truck being parked on our street, the stories and the joking around he does....especially at the Berg's. I know I feel safer knowing your husband is out there protecting our families. We miss you guys and love you guys.

Melissa